On February 13, an earthquake occurred in Georgia at 22:25 Tbilisi time. Residents of the capital Tbilisi and other cities felt it. According to seismologists, the tremors were magnitude 6.2. The epicenter was located in the south of the country, near the village of Sameba.
The earthquake did not have a devastating effect on Tbilisi. In general, it should be noted that an earthquake in Georgia happens infrequently – the country does not belong to the earthquake-prone zone. However, weak tremors happen from time to time. This time the tremors were of great force (the last time the tremors of the same force were in 2004 – it is still remembered by residents of Georgia). Many were at home at that time and clearly felt – seeing how the furniture was moving and the chandeliers were swinging. But there were also those who did not even notice how the ground was shaking under their feet. Why do people feel an earthquake differently? It's all about the earthquake resistance of residential buildings. It is on this indicator that the consequences of an earthquake depend. Some buildings are more stable, others less so. The situation is best with new buildings. But, of course, not with all, but only with those that were built in accordance with international standards. What are these standards? Let's tell you in more detail.How earthquake resistance of buildings is achieved
In order for the building to be stable and not collapse in an earthquake, builders take into account the following factors:
- The level of seismological danger of the place
- Soil features
- Permissible height of buildings
- Technologies and materials
Monolithic frame houses are considered the most earthquake-resistant. This is a European standard – it is used in more than 40 countries around the world. All residential properties that Sea Inside
sells are built using monolithic frame technology. They will withstand earthquakes of magnitude 8.0.The earthquake resistance of the building is provided by several parameters. Here they are:
1. Materials. They must be strong, plastic, but not brittle. For example, to increase the strength of concrete, polymer fibers are added to it.
2. Construction. It should be rigid, but mobile. To achieve this, the foundation is divided into segments or special supports are installed. The balance between rigidity and shock absorption is the main principle of earthquake–resistant construction.New buildings are safer than secondary housing, because:
- new materials are used in construction, which are being improved more and more every year
- along with building materials, science is developing – today specialists have more opportunities for accurate calculations.
Looking for profitable real estate in Georgia? Contact us. We'll find what you're looking for.